It seems that daily there is a new study Bible on the market. Each offers something special and significant that their contemporaries do not. Some hit it out of the park and some just strikeout. The NIV Essential Study Bible by Zondervan Publishers is one such new study Bible that, to be honest, falls somewhere in between. What does this Bible offer that others do not? More than what I first thought. The NIV Essentials Study Bible offers the same type of study notes as other study Bibles do. The unique thing about this Bible is layout. The NIVESB pulls information in from other NIV resources including NIV Study Bible, NIV Quest Study Bible, NIV Archaeological Study Bible, NIV Student Bible, The Great Rescue Bible, and the Essential Bible Companion. Combining all these resources into one location, the NIVESB helps the reader gain a quicker understanding of the Bible. Through eight different lenses, the NIVESB offers a new perspective to Bible study. The lenses include:
1. Flyover Lens: Each boom of the Bible begins with an easy-to-read introduction that comes from the Essential Bible Companion.
2. Unpack Lens: Bottom of the page study notes and in-text charts are included from the NIV Study Bible.
3. Dig Deep, Look Close Lens: Articles and photographs highlight the historical significance of the Bible, courtesy of the NIV Archaeological Study Bible.
4. Q&A Lens: Concise and easy to grasp answers to life’s most challenging questions are provided throughout using the NIV Quest Bible.
5. Important People in Focus Lens: This lens enables the reader to view scripture from the perspective of the Bible’s most notable figures.
6. Guided Tour Lens: This lens provides a “bird’s-eye view” of scripture showing how the theme and topic run throughout the Bible.
7. Insight Lens: These are magazine-style articles that provide a deeper look at the topic being discussed, courtesy of the NIV Student Bible.
8. R&R Lens: Reflect and Respond articles allow for deeper devotional thoughts utilizing the NIV Great Rescue.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their Blogger Review Program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”